Application Case: Retrofitting
Ambition: The aim was to evaluate the impact on recurring and non-recurring costs due to a retrofitting operation, while obtaining a sensible improvement on fuel consumption and emissions. The involved retrofitting packages were: i) The Engine Retrofitting, consisting in replacing the baseline engines with an advanced Geared turbofan with a EIS2025+ technologies. ii) The OBS architecture Retrofitting, replacing the conventional OBS with more or all electrification of secondary systems.
Below you can download the models produced during the development process of this Application Case
|Stakeholders, needs and |
|MDO formulation – Optimization|
You can download all the results here
- The retrofitting process of an existing platform must be carefully analyzed bringing together multiple domains ranging from the design, the manufacturing, the certification.
- The results achieved allows to trade-off and take decisions on how and if perform such complex activities, reducing risks and speeding up the overall process.
- Regional jet retrofitting through multidisciplinary aircraft design, Massimo Mandorino Pierluigi Della Vecchia Fabrizio Nicolosi and Giovanni Cerino – IOP SCIENCE SERIES, EASN
- Multidisciplinary Design and Optimization of Regional Jet Retrofitting Activity, Mandorino, M., Della Vecchia, P., Corcione, S., Nicolosi, F., Trifari, V., Cerino, G., Fioriti, M., Cabaleiro, C., Lefebvre, T., Charbonnier, D., Wang, Z., Peeters, D.M.J. – AIAA 2022
- Regional jet retrofitting design: from stakeholders’ needs and system’s requirements to MDAO workflow formulation, M. Mandorino, P. Della Vecchia, F. Nicolosi, S. Corcione, V. Trifari – ICAS 2022
- Retrofitting Cost Modeling in Aircraft Design, Vecchia, P.D., Mandorino, M., Cusati, V., Nicolosi, F. – Aerospace MDPI